Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dive on In!

I never really learned to dive properly. I am a hold the nose kinda of gal! Oh, the shame! (However, I can pass the required summer camp swim test! Yeah!) I did not want my daughter to have the same fear or water up the nose issues as me. Mission accomplished.


Above is a picture taken of Emma Grace at Auburn University ready to dive into her first race of the day. (She is the one closest to the camera in lane 1)


I am daily amazed at her willingness to continue this new sport despite the fact that she is competing with girls who have been doing this for 5 or more years compared to her 7 months. I love her commitment to going daily (even in freezing weather) and swimming lap after lap (after lap). Her hard work is paying off with lower times and new found muscles, but she still must work just to catch up with the others. And she does. Where can I get the bottle of magic dust that keeps her motivated?!?


I was going to write about the idea of "Just keep swimming" from Disney's Finding Nemo, but looking at this photo I snapped to send to my husband (who was very sad not to be there), the idea of her willingness to dive in seemed more profound.


Keeping your head above water is one thing. Being willing to dive into it is the FIRST thing.


I would love to be the one to dive in head first and just go for it (what ever "it" may be). Instead I ease in one toe at a time, sometimes not even willing to get my face in the water. But here is my own flesh and blood diving in head first not caring what the others do. She is doing what she wants and giving it her all. Wow. Again, I need that bottle of magic dust she must have hidden in the mess she calls a room!


God wants us to have the faith of a child. I say we need the faith, the courage, the hope, the love, and the pure heart that allows them to try new things, love new adventures, and see the world as something special given just for them. It was. God gave us all these things. The question is ... Are we using what is given without question?


Are we willing to dive in and see what is there for us? What might could happen? How can our lives change?


From her first very awkward dive in June, Emma Grace has had a new world opened up to her. She is learning more than just proper kicks and strokes. She is learning that it is better to dive in than just sit on the edge worrying about what might happen. I love that kind of faith!


Do you have the faith to dive right in? I am working on mine. See you in the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment